Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Saturday, March 25, 2006


Post-Mortem.
Yesterday was a whirlwind of activity in the short story of Ben Domenech's life as the Washingtonpost.com's anti-pinko commie Red Dawn blogger. As someone who followed this from the very beginning (see past posts), it was somewhat disappointing that I was driving in the car on the way to get that haircut when I heard on Air America that Box Turtle Ben had resigned. As commenter BlakNo1 said later, "this space looks ripe for gloating."

It was even more disappointing because when I got home, I found my internet connection to be dead. I would put this disappoinetment as second only to our O.M. team's second place finish in the regional competition back on March 20, 1993, a day that will live in infamy.

When the connection finally came back up later last night, I was surprised to see that BenDom had actually posted an apology on Red State for his years of plagiarizing other people's works, and a true apology for calling Coretta Scott King a communist, rather than blaming everyone else for his problems. And all of his brethren at Red State responded with a sober recognition of Ben's crimes against humanity rather than come up with assinine conspiracy theories about how this was a coordinated take-down of Ben planned since 1999.

No, wait...that didn't happen. Eight hours later, presumably after someone noticed Ben down in a hole with a shovel, Ben gave it a second try and admits his wrongs.

Jane Hamsher at Firedoglake has some questions for Jim Brady, the man responsible for bringing us BenDom, the man who gets Wanker of the Day status from Atrios, the man who should also resign. The Flat Hat clarifies a few things, and P.J. O'Rourke says he didn't give BenDom permission to use his stuff.

I had no idea when I put up my first post, Meet Ben Domenich (sic) that things would unravel so quickly. But they did. And that is a good thing. The question remains of whether the Post has learned any lessons from this. I expect that Ben has. But there's the larger issue of media outlets kowtowing to pressure from conservatives to provide a balance to the truth--truthiness. They didn't get away with it this time, but they're certain to try again.

As for me, well, this little blog that I've been keeping up for over two years suddenly went from an average of forty hits a day to 57,723 hits this week. I'm now an "adorable little rodent" in the blogging ecosystem. For all of the new people who have been here this week, I hope that a few of you will stick around after all this dies down. For the regular readers, the ones who know me more for fat kitties, two-headed turtles, and my other same-sex object of obsessive bashing, Scott Stapp, don't worry, I won't forget my roots.

In the meantime, as I said in my first post, , "Behold, the tasty goodness of my blog."

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com