Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Which one's Pink? The Live 8 concerts went on over the weekend, providing further proof that Tim McGraw and Faith Hill really are out of place performing at the Circus Maximus in Rome. MTV and VH1 had been pimping the event for weeks, talking up all the performances and how they'd be carrying it live. I don't really give a hoot about Linkin Bizkit performing with Jay-Z or Paul McCartney doing "Hey Jude" for the millionth time. You're a Beatle. We get it.

But what I do get excited about is a Pink Floyd reunion sans Syd Barrett. Floyd was the first band that I ever really got into as a teenager. When she wasn't telling me how much I stank or questioning my sexuality, one of the nice things my sister did for me when I was fourteen was to give me a few copied tapes of Pink Floyd albums. Though to be fair to her, I probably did stink, and had I ever worn a tutu when I was ten--which I'm not saying I did-- it was only because she was blackmailing me.

So the point is, I was giddy as a schoolgirl that Pink Floyd would be playing a set in London. Fortunately, AOL was streaming the concerts live over the web, one of the few things that AOL has actually done well in its history. And so I was able watch all four songs, and it whupped a camel's ass. MTV, on the other hand, proved once again that nobody else takes the music out of television better than MTV. It was truly the worst coverage of anything ever, and so it was completely predictable. Rather than show performances live, they showed them a few hours later. And even then, they only showed a snippet of the song before cutting away to commercials or some sycophantic interview with the bass player for Deep Purple.

And so I was surprised when MTV stuck with the Pink Floyd performance all the way through "Breathe," "Money," and "Wish You Were Here." For their final song, they played "Comfortably Numb," and right in the middle of the song, they cut away to one of the no-talent asshat veejays...

[WHAT YOU ARE READING RIGHT NOW IS A POST ABOUT THE PINK FLOYD REUNION AT THE LIVE 8 CONCERT THIS PAST SATURDAY, AND THE SHITTY COVERAGE BY MTV. THIS IS AN AWESOME POST! IT REALLY IS AMAZING TO BE HERE READING THIS WITH EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD! A POST LIKE THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING ALL DAY FOR! THIS IS JUST AMAZING!!! LET'S READ ALONG!]

...and then they cut to commercial one minute before the end of the set. Luckily, I had the webstream going, so no worries. But whatever producer made that call should be drug out in the street and be stoned mercilessly.

And I haven't heard otherwise, but I'm guessing that the leaders at the G8 conference don't give a fu-u-u-uck what the lead singer from Maroon 5 thinks about global poverty.

AOL is still hosting all the London, Philly, and Toronto performances and all of the Berlin, Paris, and Rome performances.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com