Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Technical Issues and stuff. Jeebus, why isn't my blog loading up correctly? Rather, why won't it load up correctly on either of our home computers? Further, why does it load up fine using Mozilla and not in Explorer? And why isn't any of this happening with the archives? I don't feel like messing with the html code, so maybe it's time for another template change. I haven't done that in a good six months probably. But that's such a pain in the ass to do. I suppose that given that classes don't start for another twelve days, I do still have some time on my hands.

Research on the lives of homeless people has shown how they will take a few simple tasks and stretch them out over the course of several days. This gives their lives a sense of order while providing them with short term goals to meet. Not so much unlike my life these days. I'm TA-ing a winter session class, so every other day I get a couple of essays to grade. And when I say "grade," I mean "lay the papers on the floor and see which the cats go to first." So that only takes up a half hour or so, leaving me with 23.5 hours to fill. Sleep takes up another 6-12 hours, depending on how early I fall asleep and how much more time I sleep during the day.

So, to fill the rest of the time, I run errands rather inefficiently. Why make one trip to the store for the week when I can make five? Something has to go to the post office? Let me check my schedule...yes, I do think I have an opening. And then there's the cooking of breakfast and dinner, and the leaving of the dishes so that I'll have something else to do later (I know who makes the money in this family, and it certainly isn't me).

And then the rest of the time is filled by "sitting around, hanging out with the cats." A typical phone call:

ring...ring...

YLH Legal Counsel: Hello?
Me: Hey, whatshappenin.
YLH LC: Not much. What are you up to?
Me: Oh, you know...sitting around, hanging out with the cats. Getting ready to do some dishes and run out to the grocery store.
YLH LC: Alright, well, I'm busy here, so I'll talk to you later.
Me: Okey dokey.

And three hours later I'm still getting ready to do the dishes and go to the store. It really is a brutal existence. I don't know how I manage. But whenever I'm stopped at a traffic light, and a homeless person walks up to my car window looking for change, and I pretend not to notice because I'm too busy fishing something out from under the seat...that's when I find the strength to endure.

Um...so, yeah, gotta fix that template.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com