Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Sleaze-A-E. When I was a wee lad with a scruffy goatee at William and Mary, that is how we referred to the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. SAE was truly the cheeziest frat of them all and held the reputation for being the first-year women meatmarket. Class acts all around. Just recently, they were suspended for hazing.
The College of William and Mary has suspended a 147-year-old fraternity chapter for allegedly hazing a freshman whose blood-alcohol level was reportedly almost five times the legal limit for drivers of drinking age.
...
The 17-year-old student was pledging SAE and was taken to a hospital Oct. 21 after suffering severe cuts and bruises to his head and ear from falling down a stairway in the fraternity house, an investigation by the college and the fraternity's national office found.

The student, the probe found, had a .37 percent blood-alcohol level when he arrived at the hospital.
I know, I know, I'm as shocked as you are that underage drinking was going on within a fraternity. And even more faux-shocked by the hazing. But jeebus, .37 percent? That's crazy. A BAC of .35 is comparable to surgical anesthesia, and for half of all people, .40 is a lethal level.

I had my own underage drinking experience at SAE my first semester at W&M. The first weekend after classes, a group of us headed over there for a party. From what I remember, in one room, there was a trashbag-lined garbage can filled with some sort of fruity punch beverage--most likely "Jungle Juice" or something equally original. In another room, the SAE fratboys were giving "haircuts." You'd sit in a chair, tilt your head back, and then have copious amounts of booze and juice poured in your mouth. And after a few of those, that's where it all goes a little fuzzy.

Oh, how I (don't) miss the days of sharing a small room with two other guys--one who I didn't talk with, and the other who when I did talk with him, I couldn't hear what he was saying. A lowtalker, you might say. And the Rally's Big Buford combo meal. 1/4 pound of Grade D beef product, curly fries, and a large Coke, all served-up by a tranny. Go Tribe!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com