Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Friday, October 15, 2004

Jon Stewart is the best. William and Mary's favorite alum was on Crossfire today on CNN. He absolutely ripped into Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson, telling them that their show is bad for America, and calling them partisan hacks. They had no idea what to do, probably because they just don't get it. Here's the transcript. A couple of choice sections:
STEWART: It's not honest. What you do is not honest. What you do is partisan hackery. And I will tell you why I know it.

CARLSON: You had John Kerry on your show and you sniff his throne and you're accusing us of partisan hackery?

STEWART: Absolutely.

CARLSON: You've got to be kidding me. He comes on and you...

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls.

(LAUGHTER)

STEWART: What is wrong with you?

(APPLAUSE) CARLSON: Well, I'm just saying, there's no reason for you -- when you have this marvelous opportunity not to be the guy's butt boy, to go ahead and be his butt boy. Come on. It's embarrassing.

STEWART: I was absolutely his butt boy. I was so far -- you would not believe what he ate two weeks ago.

(LAUGHTER)

(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: You know, the interesting thing I have is, you have a responsibility to the public discourse, and you fail miserably.

CARLSON: You need to get a job at a journalism school, I think.

STEWART: You need to go to one. The thing that I want to say is, when you have people on for just knee-jerk, reactionary talk...

CARLSON: Wait. I thought you were going to be funny. Come on. Be funny.

STEWART: No. No. I'm not going to be your monkey.

....

CARLSON: I do think you're more fun on your show. Just my opinion.

(CROSSTALK)

CARLSON: OK, up next, Jon Stewart goes one on one with his fans...
(CROSSTALK)

STEWART: You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show.
And much, much more. The best thing I'd seen since the Franken/O'Reilly dust-up at the L.A. Book Expo last year.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com