Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Friday, September 24, 2004

I really don't understand what makes a student think that it would be alright to read a newspaper during class. During a large lecture where you're unlikely to be seen, okay, fine. But in a twenty student discussion section? I don't get it. We were talking about presentation of self and impression management when I notice this kid reading the school paper--not even trying to be inconspicuous about it, he's just holding it right up in front of him. I say, "And so a lot of effort goes into giving others a certain impression of your self, and someone who is sitting in class reading a newspaper probably isn't doing a very good job of maintaining their sense of self because it shows they aren't paying attention to what's going on in the class." And the kid was absolutely clueless. He said, "Oh, I wasn't reading it." So I asked why he was holding it up if he wasn't reading it, and why he thought that would be appropriate behavior. He apologized, but I assured him that I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it, and said that I doubted he would either.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com