Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

After two days of orientation, the generalized anxiety that characterized so much of my time in grad school the first time around has returned. I've got that sense that I should be doing something other than watching television, that there is something to be read, that there just won't be enough time in the day to get everything done that needs to be done, and that I'll be found out as the fraud that I am. And classes don't even start for another five days. Hooray!

Don't get me wrong--I'm thrilled to be back in school. I'm almost four weeks dress-pants-free. And at least this time I have a better handle on what I've gotten myself into. And if all goes well, I won't at any point have to count 138,000 insurance agents (though such an undertaking builds character), and I won't resort to selling my plasma for $20. Having your own legal counsel brings certain advantages. Managing to stay out of poverty is one of them.

As for the important questions, "like do they have an amusingly named intramural sports team, and do you get credit hours for discussing Marx and Weber at parties," I haven't figured that out yet. The only intramural team that I've heard mention of is volleyball, which is fine because I play open. If I'm not mistaken, the Juicetigers are probably now defunct at Arizona. Having lost their last game to undergrads who are "younger" and more "in shape," yelled at their last referee over an obviously wrong call, and blown out their last ACL, the Juice hung up their shoes. Perhaps I'll have to revive the name and bring the Juicetiger brand of sports justice to my new institution.
And if there are people talking about Marx and Weber at parties, I won't know about it because I'll be on the other side of the room hanging with the cool people.

(side note to anyone from U.ofAZ...y'all need to update your departmental tour...the pictures make it look like you'll let in any riff-raff off the street)

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com