Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

"The Arabian Candidate." Good column by Krugman.

Warning: Rant Ahead.  We are not safer today than three years ago. Removing Saddam has not made us or the world safer. Yes, he's an evil bastard, nobody disagrees there. But he did not pose a threat to the U.S., and despite the fantastical assertions of Dick Cheney, Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. "Everybody" did not believe that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction. I didn't, and neither did millions of people worldwide. And we were not told that we were going to war to spread democracy.

So does that mean that if I were in charge that Saddam would still be in power? Yes. It does. Does that mean that innocent Iraqi civilians would still be dying under Saddam's regime? Yes. It does. But you know what? There are innocents suffering everywhere. Just look at what's happening in Darfur. And how many Iraqi civilians have died during the war and occupation? We don't know because the government doesn't see fit to keep track. And if money and the economy are what matter to people in this election, then they need to look at the cost of this misadventure and remember that we were told that the reconstruction of Iraq would pay for itself. Giddy about a $500 tax break? This war is costing everyone far more than that.

But, what the hell do I know? I just work here.

ON EDIT: Let me correct myself. If I were in charge, Saddam would *not* still be in power. I would have removed him from office with my motivational techniques, like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com