Your Logo Here

This is the greatest and most powerful blog in the history of the universe. Solid.

Friday, May 07, 2004

Krispy Kreme had to cut its profit forecasts for the first time ever, pointing to low-carb diets as causing a drop in the demand. I don't get the implication there. Donuts are a healthy part of any balanced diet, and they go perfectly with any meal at any time of the day. They're low in fat, and low in carbs, plus chockfull of vitamins and nutrients. Probably about the healthiest thing you could put in your belly.

I loves me some donuts. When I was in National Honor Society in high school, one of our fundraisers was to sell boxes of Krispy Kreme donuts. We paid for the boxes up front, and then had to sell them to get back the out-of-pocket money. I picked up my five boxes of donuts on a Saturday afternoon, sold two boxes to neighbors of ours, and I ended up keeping the other three for myself. They were all gone by the end of Monday two days later. It's like eating cotton candy. And those glazed ones just melt in your mouth, especially if you pop one in the microwave for fifteen seconds. Mmm.

When it comes to choosing a donut to eat, the Krispy Kreme original glazed are always a reliable choice, it's hard to go wrong there. Creme-filled donuts, whether glazed or iced or powdered, are a good second-round choice. First you eat the original, and then you go for the creme-filled. Two for a dollar, you really can't just buy one. I'm more fond of the vanilla or boston creme variety, and not as crazy about the chocolate creme. Most people tend to look over the blueberry cake donuts, which I can understand if they aren't glazed. But add the glaze, and you've got yourself a tasty donut. I generally pass over the jelly-filled donuts because too often they are powdered, and the powder just makes a mess, especially if you're sitting in the car by yourself eating several donuts. The powder just gets all over your pants, and when you try and wipe it away, it gets down in the fabric. So if I'm going to eat a jelly donut, it's probably going to be the cinnamon-apple variety. Maybe red jelly, whatever the flavor, but probably not the lemon.

I have no use for plain cake donuts. And I have no use for sprinkles.

One of the most under-rated donuts has to be the sour-cream cake donut. Sounds a little odd, but the flavor is just to die for, but they can sometimes be difficult to find. The perfect combo, in my opinion, would be one original glazed followed by the sour cream cake donut. Can't go wrong there.
Krispy Kreme also does a "donut of the month." This month it is a strawberry shortcake donut. Nothing more than a strawberry jelly-filled donut with some crumbled cake on top of the icing. It's okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one. The cookies-and-creme and coffee-flavored donuts are also good enough, but not so tasty to be eaten on a regular basis.
I used to be able to say that I'd never met a donut I didn't like. But then i had a key-lime donut. Nasty, nasty donut. It is definitely the Keystone Lite of the donut world. If that were the only donut in the store, I wouldn't buy one. I don't even think I'd take one if they were being handed out for free. They are that bad. I like key-lime pie, and I like donuts. But the two should not be mixed.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com